The entire portal software is controlled with a ISAPI dll, static files and a database configuration. The portal may be downloaded from the website as CaseTalkPortal.zip.
Once the portal software is extracted from the zip file and copy those to the c:\inetpub\wwwroot folder. The folder structure should resembled the above.
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ portal\ dist\ ftp\ msodbcdiag17.dll msodbcsql17.dll msodbcsqlr17.dll Portal_Isapi.dll Portal_Isapi.ini web.config
- IIS needs to contain the ISAPI feature.
To install the portal in IIS, follow the steps below:
- Create a Application Pool called CaseTalkPortal which has No Managed Code and Classic pipeline mode.
- Make sure the CaseTalkPortal pool has the advanced settings set to Enable 32 bit applications.
- Under the Default Website add an Application which is hooked to the CaseTalkPortal Application, and points to the physical folder portal\.
- Once CaseTalk Manager is run successful, copy the CaseTalkManager.ini from the roaming profile folder into Portal_Isapi.ini for proper database connection configuration.
- In the portal_isapi.ini add the line "homepage=\myportal" to the settings-section. This is used to navigate users to the proper startpage when clicking the Home. Please adjust to your appropriate setup.
- To customize the introduction- and about-tab, please read the section at the bottom of this page.
- Website Handler Mappings: Configure the ISAPI-dll to point to the portal_isapi.dll, and make sure it is executable. This is done through properties and feature permissions.
- ISAPI and CGI Restrictions of the webserver: Add the portal_isapi.dll to the list and make sure it is allowed to be executed.
- Website Default Document: Add the portal_isapi.dll as a default document name.
For cache optimizations, the Output Caching can be tweaked to result in the following web.config:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <configuration> <location path="dist"> <system.webServer> <staticContent> <clientCache cacheControlMode="UseMaxAge" cacheControlMaxAge="00:30:00" /> </staticContent> </system.webServer> </location> <system.webServer> <caching> <profiles> <add extension=".dll" policy="CacheForTimePeriod" kernelCachePolicy="CacheForTimePeriod" duration="00:30:00" varyByQueryString="content,v,name,p,icons,filetypes,keyword" /> </profiles> </caching> </system.webServer> </configuration>
The above can be edited by hand (make sure the file maintains the correct permissions for IIS), or done through various configuration screens using the IIS Manager:
Navigate to the Website Portal Folder and double click the Output Caching icon:
Navigate to the Dist folder and double click the Configuration Editor and add the following to mark the entire folder as static content:
For monitoring the Event Viewer of Windows can be used. Relevant logs are to be found under Windows Logs\Application with the source being CaseTalkPortal.
The file Portal_isapi.ini contains a few lines for database configuration and a more generic section.
[Settings] Homepage=/ introduction=/ftp/introduction.html about=/ftp/about.html
These lines allow customization of the portal glossary home page by injecting a specially crafted html file to be presented inside the introduction and about tabs.